Research & Book Selection
a) Objectives of the project phase
- Formation of small scale project groups (4-5 participants / group)
- Research and selection of the project book by each of the project groups
- Definition of an art form (film, theatre, audio drama) by each project group
- Exploring the functionality of the library as an institution of reading socialization
- Strengthening the role of digital media in the context of reading socialization (e.g. research)
- Expertise: to become autonomous users of the library , digital research skills
- Experience in social interaction and team building: discussion, decision making, conflict resolution
Like other project phases, research and book selection combines a fixed part of the program with freely configurable elements. Facing a longer time frame in working with the medium of books, many students welcomed a 45 minutes of listening to selected book dialogues as a warm up. With some exciting literature scenes, the class gets attuned to the work with books and already develops some ideas about a genre or even a specific book to use in the project group. Reading in front of the class is a good occasion to discuss one or the other open project question – before the project really starts.
The City Library of Vienna has already been won over to the pilot project as a strong partner. We share the common goal of strengthening the library’s role in both – the improvement of the reading socialization of young people and the training of their (digital) research skills. In addition to an orientation event, during which all students receive library ID-cards, and the deepening of the library’s online research platform in school lessons, a second visit to the library at the end of the phase is recommended. The students may have a little more time to complete their book selection in the group and they can already experience themselves as skilled – familiar with the research – users of the institution. If there is an internal school library we recommend to include its visit in the schedule of this phase.
Pupils, teachers, librarians, photographers, mu.KU:wi project management
d) Temporal and spatial organization of the phase
The phase “Research & Selection” takes on a duration of about 3-4 weeks in the project.
- Project meeting (in the class / school), duration: approx. 1/2 – 1 lesson
- (optional) Reading aloud lesson (in class / school), duration: 1 lesson
- Guided tour (incl. short introduction to the library’s online research platform) in the library, duration: approx. 60 minutes (excluding arrival and departure)
- Repeating and strengthening “Digital research skills” (in class / school), duration: 1 lesson
- (optional) Exploring the school’s internal library (in class), duration: 1 lesson
- (recommended): Unguided, final research unit at the public library (in class), duration: approx. 60 minutes (excluding arrival and departure)
e) Fields of scientific research
Reading socialization, reading motivation, reading self concept, (digital) media usage
e.g. the evaluation of the time frame of the phase